Click2Science offers two-day trainings designed for individuals who facilitate Click2Science professional development with staff or volunteers in out-of-school time programs. These Trainer Institutes are interactive, research-based experiences where trainers learn best practices in STEM professional development. Participants receive an official Click2Science trainer certification signifying their competency to deliver Click2Science professional development.
Trainer Institute - 2018
May 22-23, 2018
Early Bird: $250 before March 30, 2018
Regular: $300* from March 31 - May 8, 2018
* A $400 value, Click2Science is able to reduce registration costs due to grant funding. The registration fee includes meals listed in the itinerary, but does include hotel or travel expenses.
- Pre-training webinar on May 16, 2018 @ 1:00 PM CT
- Two-day interactive learning experience
- Click2Science Training Package
- Participation in on-going Community of Practice
Lodging is available at the Marriott Courtyard in Aksarben Village Omaha at the special rate of $114 per night plus taxes. This includes free high speed internet in your room and complimentary parking at the hotel. There is a university shuttle from the hotel to the meeting location.Reservations must be made by May 8, 2018. Please use the button below to reserve your room at the special rate.
Day 1: Tuesday, May 22
- 8:00 AM - Welcome and introductions
- Click2Science Context
- Scavenger Hunt
- 10:30 AM - Click2Science Model Training Activity
- How Adults Learn
- 12:45 PM - Lunch (provided)
- 1:30 PM - Creating a Professional Development Plan
- Planning to Lead
- Click2Science Meeting Activity
- 4:30 PM - Evaluation and Reflection on Day 1
- Preparation for Leading Training on Day 2
Day 2: Wednesday, May 23
- 8:00 AM - Welcome and Review
- Peer Teaching Session 1
- Peer Teaching Session 2
- 10:45 AM - Reflection on Teaching Adults
- Coaching Tips and Resources
- 12:15 PM - Lunch (provided)
- 1:00 PM - Click2Science Research and Evaluation
- 1:45 PM - Peer Teaching Session 3
- Peer Teaching Session 4
- 3:30 PM - Reflection on Peer Teaching Sesssions
- Design Consideration in Professional Development
- Developing Your Professional Development Plan
- 4:40 PM - Evaluation and Reflection on Day 2
- 7:00 PM - Dinner (provided)
Thank you for your interest in attending the Click2SciencePD Trainer Institute. As part of the afterschool ecosystem, we know that budgets are tight and your time is valuable. We’ve gathered some information to help you explain the value of attending this important training to your organization. We want to help you:
- Know the cost of attending the institute
- Know the outcomes
- Explain the benefits to your organization
Step 1: What will it cost?We have worked very hard to keep the costs low. Your organization will want an estimate of all the expenses for the Trainer Institute. You can use the table below to calculate your costs.
|Hotel Accommodations 3|
|Per Diem/Meal 4|
|Total Cost for Attendance|
1Registration for the Trainer Institute is $250 if you register prior to 3/30/18 and $300 from 3/31/18 through 5/8/18.
2 Travel cost will depend on where you live. You should plan to arrive in Omaha, NE by 7:00 AM on Tuesday May 22, 2017 (most people will need to arrive on Monday, May 21) and to depart on Thursday, May 24, 2017. The standard mileage reimbursement rate set by the IRS is $0.535/mile. There are several airlines that fly to Omaha airport, OMA, including American, Southwest, Delta and United airlines.
3 A block of rooms has been reserved at Marriott Courtyard in Aksarben Village Omaha at a rate of $114 per night.
4 Most of the meals during the institute are included in your registration, but you should budget for your breakfast and dinner on Day 1 of the training. The federal per diem rate for Omaha, NE is $64.00 and you can expect dinner prices to range from $11-$60.
Step 2: What are the outcomes?
The purpose of the Trainer Institute is to develop local expertise to support high quality STEM facilitation by staff in OST programs across the country. Our team is looking forward to working with trainers to help them determine the best way to utilize resources from Click2SciencePD to support their organization(s) and invest in their staff. Participants of the Trainer Institute will:
- Learn best practices for providing hands-on, interactive training for OST program staff utilizing resources from Click2Science
- Develop expertise with the Click2Science model of blended professional development
- Become proficient at integrating resources from Click2Science into regular staff meetings
- Learn to use evaluation tools from Click2Science to describe the impact of the training experiences you provide
- Develop strategies to "train-the-trainers" in your organization in using Click2Science resources
- Be part of the Click2Science trainer network.
- Receive technical assistance in implementing the professional development resources and the opportunity to be part of the Click2Science professional learning network.
Step 3: What are the benefits to your organization?
We believe you are in the best position to explain the benefit to your organization. Consider what organizational goals or priorities this training can help meet. These may be related to improving program quality or youth outcomes by supporting high quality STEM learning experiences. Participating in the institute will strengthen or develop your local resources for staff development and retention. Here is a sample message to share:
The inaugural Click2SciencePD Trainer Institute provides an opportunity for our organization to build our expertise in STEM programming and invest in staff development. By sending [ fill in name(s) ] to the institute, we will develop their expertise in training our staff to provide high quality STEM learning experiences. They will bring ideas and resources we can use in our staff development and the opportunity to collaborate with Click2SciencePD.
I estimate the cost of attending will be [ insert ].
I plan to use the information and skills gained at the training to [insert your goal/plan ].
Thank you for your interest in the Click2SciencePD Trainer Institute. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Dr. Saundra Frerichs at firstname.lastname@example.org.