- Watch as staff model the engineering design process when working with youth to design and build an animal habitat.
- Watch as youth are guided through an actual engineering challenge with real engineers.
Youth look to you as an example of what they should do and how they should look at the world. Do you model scientific thinking and share your thought processes and reflections? Not sure how? Learn ways to model scientific and engineering processes in your daily work.
- Start every STEM activity with a problem to solve or question to answer.
- Refer to a chart or poster with the science inquiry and design process throughout the STEM activity.
- Ask questions that support the science inquiry or design process. For example: what do you already know? or how does the test influence your re-design?
Professional Development Resources
Making Learning FunCategory: Coaching ResourcesHelp youth apply science and engineering practices as they investigate questions, solve problems and develop explanations15 minutes
Inventors: Using Design ProcessCategory: Training Resources
Frontline staff and volunteers will facilitate opportunities for youth to apply the practices of engineering as they investigate questions and sol1 hour, 30 minutes
InquiryCategory: Training Resources
Help staff facilitate opportunities for youth to apply the practices of science as they investigate questions and develop explanations.1 hour, 30 minutes
Prompting QuestionsCategory: Meeting Resources
Work with staff to support youth construct explanations for phenomena, model scientific and engineering processes and remind youth about the steps30 minutes
Success and ChallengesCategory: Meeting Resources
With this virtual meeting guide, frontline staff and volunteers will facilitate opportunities for youth to apply the practices of science as they15 minutes
Start with a Question!Category: Meeting Resources
Frontline staff and volunteers will have the opportunity to practice designing an inquiry-based activity.30 minutes
Imagination is the AnswerCategory: Coaching Resources
Frontline staff and volunteers will be virtually able to provide opportunities for youth to create preliminary designs (written, drawn, or verbal)15 minutes
Finding Out TogetherCategory: Coaching Resources
To encourage frontline staff and volunteers to be open with youth, letting them know that sometimes they do not have all the answers and seeking s30 minutes