- Jennifer talks about the importance of building relationships with youth as part of creating a comfortable and creative environment for STEM learning.
- How do you keep groups working on STEM together?
The frontline staff person, Annette, creates an engaging learning environment while facilitating a large group of students of various ages.
- The most effective strategy for managing a group during STEM is being completely prepared to do the STEM activity ahead of time. This frees you up from worrying about the activity and can focus on the STEM learning.
- Be consistent, firm, supportive and fun when leading a group doing STEM.
- Have strategies for getting and keeping youths’ attention. Call and responses work well.
- Give youth roles using a fair system. Encourage youth to help you create this system and follow it when designating leaders, supply getters, etc.
Professional Development Resources
Keeping the Group FocusedCategory: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: Keeping the Group FocusedEngage youth in STEM learning by managing group and individual behavior of youth during STEM activities.15 minutes
Organization that Supports Group ManagementCategory: Training Resources
This Training resource will help staff employ effective strategies to manage group and individual behavior of youth during STEM activities.1 hour, 30 minutes
Applying Strategies for Group Management During STEMCategory: Training Resources
This Training Resource will help staff develop strategies for engaging youth in cooperative teams and developing their skills in working together1 hour, 30 minutes
Strategies for Group ManagementCategory: Meeting Resources
Focus on strategies used for group management, particularly strategies for group gatherings and behaviors.15 minutes
A Program ScheduleCategory: Meeting Resources
Work with staff to develop a program schedule.30 minutes
Virtually Set a Program ScheduleCategory: Meeting Resources
Develop a program schedule as a way to prevent unwanted behavior in group management.30 minutes
Working one-on-one with Group Management SkillsCategory: Coaching Resources
Observation is an essential part of a coaching experience. Use this guide to set up a virtual coaching experience with staff.30 minutes
Group Management Action PlanCategory: Coaching Resources
Download this virtual Coaching resource to work with staff to develop an action plan.15 minutes
InteractionsCategory: Coaching Resources
A one-on-one Coaching resource that focuses on an action plan for group management.15 minutes