To use part of the activity viewed in the video to allow staff and volunteers to experience how they might make science more accessible to learner
- Using their love and enthusiasm for roller coasters, staff help youth test and re-test their roller coaster designs, learning more about momentum and force in the process.
- Watch as staff connect what youth already know about electricity to dig deeper into how circuits work.
- Watch as Stephanie uses common materials to connect youth to the scientific principle of density
Watch as Gauri, the frontline staff member, helps the youth connect the activity to prior knowledge, experiences and societal needs and strategize how you might do this as well.
- Connect the learning outcomes of the activity to them socially, culturally, or aligning it with what they are currently learning about in the school day.
- Address current events or issues and community concerns with the STEM activity. For example, filtering pollutants out of water to address the community concern of clean drinking water.
- Ask youth to solve a current problem in your community through the activity.
Professional Development Resources
Improving ConnectionsCategory: Training Resources1 hour, 30 minutes
Making it RelevantCategory: Meeting Resources
To enhance the ability of staff and volunteers to make science more accessible to learners by portraying science as a social, lived experience tha15 minutes
Connecting to Prior Knowledge Idea WalkCategory: Meeting Resources
To increase staff member and volunteers’ ideas about how to make STEM activities relevant to youth’s daily experiences.30 minutes
There’s Always Room for ImprovementCategory: Meeting Resources
Increase the ability of staff or volunteers to make activities relevant to youth’s experiences and link STEM content to daily experiences.15 minutes
Identifying Connections to Prior KnowledgeCategory: Coaching Resources
To increase staff and volunteer’s ability to make connections to the prior knowledge and experiences of the youth with whom they work.15 minutes
Reflecting on Your Own SkillsCategory: Coaching Resources
To enhance the ability of staff or volunteers to make science more accessible to learners by portraying STEM as a social lived experience that is30 minutes
- Design a roller coaster that takes a marble through a loop-de-loop!1 hour
- Work with youth to learn about density using common recyclables.1 hour
What makes a good conductor?1 hour
In this activity, youth explore some of the challenges related to cooking meals in regions where1 hour, 30 minutes